The AAAS/Subaru Book Prize aims to encourage the reading, writing, and publishing of quality science books. The Prize began in 2005 by looking back on 40 years of outstanding science books and honoring six authors for their distinguished and lasting contribution to science literature. Beginning in 2006 and beyond, the Prize honors recently published, individual books.
The Prize will be awarded in the following categories:
Children's Science Picture Book (prize to author and illustrator)
Middle Grades Science Book (prize to author)
Young Adult Science Book (prize to author)
Hands-On Science Book (prize to author)
Winners will be announced in January 2020. Winning authors and illustrators will be honored at the AAAS Annual Meeting on February 13-16, 2020, in Seattle, Wa. Each winner will receive $1,500 and a commemorative plaque.
NOTE: The 2020 AAAS/Subaru Book Prize submission process will open in early March 2019.
1) Submission of books will be open from March 4 through August 1, 2019.
2) Submitted books must have a publication date between September 2018 and August 2019.
3) The SB&F Prizes cover all aspects of science, including technology, mathematics, medicine, history of science, and biographies of scientists. Only nonfiction, science books are eligible.
4) Publishers may submit as many books as they wish in each category.
5) Books affiliated with AAAS or Science, in any way, will not be eligible.
6) The books must be in the English language.
7) Books from a series must be submitted individually and will be judged individually.
8) Books will be judged based on the aforementioned eligibility criteria.
9) Winners of the SB&F Prize are not eligible to win consecutive years.
10) The closing date for entries is August 1, 2019. No entries received after this date will be considered.
For questions about a book's eligibility, please contact Suzanne Thurston.
1) The judging panel is selected by AAAS and the staff of SB&F. The judges' decisions are final.
2) In the event that a book is chosen as a finalist for the Prize, publishers will agree to:
contribute up to 8 additional copies of the book for final judging
check with authors’ availability to attend the awards ceremony at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Seattle, Wa, February 13-16, 2020.
3) Publishers of winning books will agree to contribute up to 10 additional copies of the book.
Please carefully read the criteria and select only your best books before entering.