Middle Grades Science Book Winners
This award is given to the book that in any given year best meets the following criteria:
- The book is appropriate for children in grades 5-8.
- The book contains no serious errors or deficiencies in explanations of science content or processes.
- The book has a clear purpose, is well-organized, and the scientific concepts are accurately presented.
- In accordance with Project 2061’s Nature of Science benchmark, the book should engage early adolescents in science and encourage them to reflect on the science they are engaged in.
- The science portrayed in the book is open to inquiry and should encourage the reader to ask questions.
- When fitting, the book shows that men and women of different ages and backgrounds are involved in science.